Friday, January 2, 2015

Southern France Dish

One thing that stood out to me about the French is their love for Pastries. For the last class of french 124, the topic being France we were to prepare a dish as has been the tradition. I have never baked before and was ridiculously nervous for I was not sure I would find a dish that did not require the use of the oven. That is how I came across the Piperade. Popular in the southern region of France neighbouring Spain. Traditionally made at the end of the summer when the tomatoes and peppers specifically green were abundant. The word Piperade dates back to the 19th century from the Latin word; piper meaning ground pepper. 

I have to say I was a bit skeptical when I read the ingredients and instructions as the dish mainly consists of green and red pepper, tomatoes and at the end one is supposed to add eggs and mix. I had to confirm that maybe they site I was using did not confuse the directions believing the eggs are to be maybe fried and then served with the vegetables. The recipe, http://www.francethisway.com/frenchrecipes/recipepiperade.php
I later came to learn that the egg is indeed supposed to be added. It tasted really good and all were shocked to find out that I had indeed not one but four eggs into the vegetables.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment