Friday, April 24, 2015

Cuisine: Bissap from Burkina Faso

BISSAP: BURKINA FASO HIBISCUS FLOWER DRINK
Assigned with the task to make a type of food or beverage from Burkina Faso, I settled on making bissap, a
hibiscus drink.
Making this drink was easy as I had time and again had this drink at home just that I later realized it was
originally from Burkina Faso. Other than that, I was sure I would not need professional "tasting" before I presented the drink to class in order to certify it is fit for consumption by using my dear friend as an experimental specimen. 
To make bissap, you will need hibiscus tea bags (how convenient), hot water; whatever amount that the consumer desires, sugar and ice cubes if need be. 
1. First boil the water to a moderate temperature.
2. Soak two hibiscus tea bags in the water and wait five minutes for the drink to brew. Let the tea bags soak  for as much time as you want depending on the level of redness you would wish your drink to achieve. 
3. Add 3-4 tablespoons of sugar and stir till all the sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Ice cubes may be incorporated in the drink if a cooling effect is desired by the consumer or it can be served hot on a cold day.
The good thing about bissap is its enticing red colour, sweet aroma and strawberry taste. 
Now, I'm sure you'll fall in love with this drink once you've tried it. 
If this is your first time tasting it...feel free to thank me later for the enlightenment (LOL!).
If you a regular like me then please make a mug-full of bissap and appreciate Burkina Faso for their wonderful creation.    

No comments:

Post a Comment